Smith College requires that all students in a degree program, enrolled in at least 25 percent of full-time credits, carry health insurance. The Student Health Insurance Plan is a comprehensive policy offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. The policy provides inpatient and outpatient hospital services, mental health, diagnostic testing and lab services and other specialty benefits.
- Students enrolled at Smith College in a degree program and taking at least 4 credits are eligible for coverage by the Student Health Insurance Plan*
- For information about eligible dependents, please refer to Gallagher Student Health
*Ada Comstock Scholars who are regular employees of the college are not eligible.
What If I Don’t Have Smith Insurance?
- You can still be seen on campus at the Schacht Center for Health and Wellness.
- Medical, mental health and wellness appointments are available free of charge to all students.
- Check with your plan regarding in-network local coverage. Many insurance plans only cover services and providers within a particular geographic area.
- Students are responsible for any charges incurred not covered by their plan.
- Most care at the Schacht Center is free of charge. There are charges for vaccines, labs and supplies, which may not be covered by private insurance.*
- If you seek care off-campus for specialty or urgent care, you may need a referral from your primary care provider.
- The Schacht Center does not, and cannot, direct-bill insurance companies. We bill your student account and provide a claim form with instructions for you to subit a claim for reimbursement to your insurance.
* Vaccines, for example, are very costly. (The average cost for common travel vaccines is $1,000.) We strongly encourage you to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan, and/or consult with your insurance plan before receiving vaccines at the Schacht Center or in the Northampton area.