Skip to main content

Referrals to Off-Campus Providers

Due to your needs and our resources, we may refer you to a provider off-campus. You do not need a referral to see an off-campus health care provider. But we are happy to meet with you to make a local recommendation, or help find providers in your area based on your needs.

For students with insurance other than the Smith College Health Insurance: It is your responsibility to determine whether a referral is needed or an off-campus visit will be covered. You can call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to find out this information.

Find a Provider

Search Your Insurance Database

  • Go to your own health insurance provider’s website and follow the steps there. For Smith College insurance enrollees, visit the Student Health Insurance Plan site and then follow the subsequent steps.
  • Click on “Find a doctor” or “Find a clinician.”
  • It will search by location. If you are at Smith, enter “Northampton, MA” or “01060.” Narrow the search by lowering the searchable radius, as there are many therapists within walking distance of campus.
  • For specialization, choose “Behavioral Health”; this will include psychotherapists with many different levels of training, all of which are appropriate for therapy. If you are looking for someone to prescribe medication, you must choose a psychiatrist (MD) or a clinical nurse specialist (APRN).

Use the Psychology Today Therapist Finder

  • Go to Psychology Today webpage
  • Click on "Find a Therapist" or scroll down to the "Find a Therapist" search bar
  • Enter your zip code
  • Use the filter to choose your insurance (if you are using insurance)

Use these Other Therapist Finder Tools

Ask Us

You can also ask for a recommendation by emailing the Counseling Service. 

Ask Others

If you are studying elsewhere, ask someone you know or call a nearby college counseling service.

Contacting a Provider

It’s okay to contact more than one therapist at first, and in fact we recommend reaching out to three to four to start. Whether you email or call the therapist, be sure to leave your name, phone number or email, your insurance company, and the best time to reach you. Many therapists work alone without office help, so if you do not hear back within a few days, try them a second time.

During the Academic Year

Call us at 413-585-2800 for help.

During Break

You can call your health insurance provider for help. Call the number on the back of your insurance card or find the number online.