Park House is an integral part of the history of Northampton and Smith College.
An elaborate residence with a view of Paradise Pond, Park House was built in 1880 by W.T. Clement, the founder of Clement Cutlery Company. In 1909, the house was acquired by Emily Malbon, who rented it as off-campus housing for Smith students. When Smith College acquired the property in 1923, Mrs. Malbon's (as it was once known) became Park House, named for one of the original trustees of the college, Reverend Edwards Amasa Park.
Park House is in a scenic spot near the president's house and Paradise Pond. It is a five-minute walk to the central campus area, libraries, classrooms and administrative buildings, and about a 10-minute walk to downtown Northampton. Many Park residents have bicycles on campus and prefer to cycle to class or town.